Yogurt Parfait Pie
Yogurt Parfait Pie
Between you and me, make-your-own parfait bars give me anxiety. It’s mostly performance anxiety, really. I mean, I love a good parfait station, but I loath the balancing act trying to get the parfait (in one hand) and plate full of breakfast (in the other hand) back to the table. Multiply this times 2 or 3 with the kids also wanting parfaits and I’m up and down “performing” a million times. Result: I don’t even get to eat my breakfast and I feel like I need a Xanax.
I’ve never even considered serving parfait for brunch guests for fear of causing the same anxiety that I experience.
Never until now.
I feel like I should receive some kind of honorary therapy degree for figuring this out – if you turn your parfait into a pie, you can have your pie and eat it too. A parfait pie slices up just like quiche and can be served on a plate. No two handed juggling while you try to scoop yogurt into a small glass cup!
Also, I’ll take any excuse to have pie for breakfast. Especially one as healthy and delicious as this!
Yogurt Parfait Pie Recipe
Prep Time: 8 to 10 hours (mostly unattended) Cooking Time: 5 to 10 mins
1 ½ cups finely crushed graham crackers
3 tablespoons lowfat vanilla yogurt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Ingredients for the Filling:
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1 teaspoon sugar
½ cup water
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 ½ cups nonfat or lowfat vanilla yogurt
1 envelop unflavored gelatin
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, crushed Cheerios and sugar.
3. Work the mixture together with your hands until it becomes clumpy and moist.
4. Press mixture into a 9 inch pie plate making sure to push it up along the sides.
5. Bake in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until set and just starting to brown.
6. Let cool completely (overnight is best) before adding filling.
7. To make the filling, combine strawberries, blueberries and sugar in a medium bowl and set aside.
8. In a small saucepan, over low heat, whisk together ¼ cup water, egg yolks and cornstarch and continue stirring until thick. Remove from heat.
9. Meanwhile, in another small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over remaining ¼ cup water, whisk together and dissolve over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
10. Combine egg mixture and gelatin.
11. Combine yogurt with berries and then fold berries into egg / gelatin mixture.
12. Pour into prepared piecrust and refrigerate until set. At least 2 hours.
You might also like...