I like to buy organic meat, but it seems that only Whole
Foods Paycheck carries organic ground turkey meat. I hate having to make an extra stop just to pick up turkey meat. (Lazy) But, if I’m being honest, it’s not just the inconvenience… I can never get out of that store for less than 100 bucks.
I had been avoiding making meatballs all together until I recently happened upon organic ground chicken at my local supermarket. I snatched up a pack and brought it home thinking I’d try a little meatball improvisation. Zip, zap, zop! <——(That’s for you Mrs. N.)
We used my favorite method for making meatballs: using buttermilk soaked bread to make them moist, browning them in a skillet and then cooking them in sauce in the oven until they are fork tender. The good news: this method worked perfectly for chicken meatballs. The kids went ga-ga for them. The not-so-good news: I stupidly left the balls cooling on the stove top and forgot about them ’til morning. Bye bye left-over meatballs. Such a cryin’ shame.
Chicken Meatballs Recipe Prep Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 35 – 45 mins Ingredients: 1. Place cubed bread in a small bowl and cover with buttermilk. Mash with fork and let sit until it becomes a paste. (About 12 mins.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 slices bread, cubed
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 pound ground chicken
3 tablespoons grated parmesan
1 shallot finely minced
1 large egg
1 teaspoon dried parsley
salt + fresh cracked pepper
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large jar (24 oz) good tomato sauce (we use Rao’s)
2. In a large bowl mix together chicken, egg, shallots, parsley, parmesan, paste (see above) and salt + pepper to taste.
3. Form mixture into 1 inch balls. Do not over pack the meat.
4. Pour oil into a large frying pan and heat over medium heat until it is hot but not smoking. Brown meatballs lightly and transfer in batches to a paper towel covered plate.
5. Transfer browed meatballs to an oven safe pot. Pour sauce over meatballs and cover. Simmer in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until fork tender and cooked through.
Chicken Meatballs Recipe
Prep Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 35 – 45 mins
1. Place cubed bread in a small bowl and cover with buttermilk. Mash with fork and let sit until it becomes a paste. (About 12 mins.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.