Meatless Monday: Rustic Broccoli & Spinach Pie
This is honestly one of those “there’s nothing to eat in this house” meals that wound up being a lucky break because it was a gigantic hit all around. It’s so easy, it’s criminal.
Before we made this I opened and closed the fridge door 15 times – it felt like all that was in there was some leftover broccoli. I picked up the phone to order a pizza. While it was ringing, I remembered that I had a Trader Joe’s pie crust in the freezer along with some frozen spinach.
I hung up, set the pie crust out on the counter, defrosted the spinach with some warm water, squeezed it dry, mixed it with broccoli, cheese, salt pepper and some egg and plopped it on the pie crust. The result was an amazing vegetarian dinner that my husband cannot stop talking about.
Rustic Broccoli & Spinach Pie Recipe
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed + squeezed
2 cups broccoli florets, blanched + chopped
3/4 cup shredded cheese (we like Gruyere)
2 shallots finely chopped
1 clove garlic crushed
salt & fresh cracked pepper
1 pre-made frozen pie crust
1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of water for egg wash
1. Set your pie crust out to thaw. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Saute shallots in a bit of olive oil until tender. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a medium bowl mix together broccoli, spinach, egg, cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in shallots.
4. Place thawed pie crust on top of a silpat on a cookie sheet. (You can also just grease a cookie sheet.) Transfer broccoli mixture to the center of the pie crust leaving a 2 inch border all around.
5. Fold the pie crust up and over the filling pleating as you go. Brush egg wash over the rim and sprinkle the top with some extra cheese.
6. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until pie becomes golden.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve warm or room temperature.
Makes: 4 to 6 servings