- Cooking with My Kid - http://www.cookingwithmykid.com -
Meatless Monday: Bacon Vegwich
I never thought much of veggie sandwiches until I ate one at The Trails Cafe . Come to think of it, this isn’t the first time I’ve raved about the cafe. Remember the Snake Dog  we posted about? That was also inspired by The Trails Cafe . Well, it turns out they know how to please vegetarians and meat-on-a-stick lovers alike.
Part of what makes this sandwich awesome is the smashed avocado spread on the bread. It’s not guac, per say, just ripe, delicious avocado with a bit of lemon juice mixed in.
But what makes their sandwich EXTRA AWESOME is that they sprinkle veggie bacon bits on top of the avocado. It really packs a punch, taking this to a veg-tastic level.
Once you’ve made the base with bacon bits, you can pile anything you like on the sandwich and it will taste awesome.
They add cheese to theirs, but we kept it vegan – for no real reason other than the fact that it doesn’t really need cheese to be awesome. Proof, once again, bacon makes everything better.
What have you done with your bacon lately?
Bacon Vegwich Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mins
1 ripe avocado, peeled
juice of 1/2 lemon
red pepper flakes (optional)
salt & pepper
2 slices veggie bacon, cooked
1 Persian cucumber, sliced thin lengthwise
1 tomato sliced thin
4 slices whole wheat bread
1. In a small bowl, smash together avocado and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Lay out your bread and divide avocado spread between two slices of bread.
3. Crumble one slice of veggie bacon atop each slice slice of avocado covered bread and then drizzle with olive oil. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to taste.
4. Layer sandwich with tomatoes and cucumbers then top each half with remaining slice of bread.
5 Cut in half and enjoy immediately.
Makes: 2 sandwiches
Article printed from Cooking with My Kid: http://www.cookingwithmykid.com
URL to article: http://www.cookingwithmykid.com/recipes/meatless-monday-bacon-vegwich/
URLs in this post:
 The Trails Cafe: http://www.thetrailslosfeliz.com/
 Snake Dog: http://www.cookingwithmykid.com/dinner/snake-dogs/
Copyright © 2010 Cooking With My Kid. All rights reserved.